with Sheryl Field
New York City
Saturday & Sunday, January 23-24
Are you loving the spirit of your meditation practice,
but wishing that your body would cooperate?
Are you wishing for more comfortable breath?
Do you yearn for healthy knees, a back that supports you, shoulders without that stubborn knot?
Would you like your sitting to be more comfortably still?
MEDITATE IN COMFORT, a workshop with Sheryl Field, offers a new way back to the old comfort that we knew in our bodies when we were kids.
In this workshop, you will –
- learn to allow your spine, not your muscles, to do the work.
- discover your own awareness as your guide to healthful sitting.
- experience your posture as a meditation in itself.
These forms are not a means of obtaining the right state of mind. To take this posture itself is the purpose of our practice. When you have this posture, you have the right state of mind.
- Suzuki Roshi
Here’s what you can expect for yourself:
- Grasp the fundamentals of the basic meditation postures
- Find the movement within stillness, and let it work for you
- Understand why your pelvis is so important, and how to let it do its job
- Let go of “sitting up straight” and let gravity do all the work for you
- Learn the one meditation position that you should avoid
- Address pain wherever you feel it, without getting tricked by it
- Achieve effortless balance and poise
Persisting intelligently in exploring your experience is the productive path.
I’ve wriggled and fidgeted through so many sittings. How can I get monkey mind to hold still if I can’t even get my body to settle down?
The problem was that I was confusing still with inert. I’ve learned through working with Sheryl Field and the Feldenkrais Method® that there’s a dynamism in stillness, that my human need for movement is not my enemy in sitting, but my friend.
Sheryl’s work points me to that balancing point – stillness in motion, motion in stillness.
Sheryl Field has been a practitioner of Feldenkrais Method® of movement education for over 25 years. The Feldenkrais Method® is a tool for practicing the power of gentle awareness in movement and in life.
Whether you are an experienced meditator or just getting started, taking the time to learn to sit comfortably and without effort is one of the best investments you can make in your meditation practice.
SIT EFFORTLESSLY NOW
Time: This weekend, January 23rd &24th, from 10:30 to 4:30
Place: The Feldenkrais® Institute, 134 West 26th Street, New York
Registration: (Our New Year’s Special) $160
See you this weekend!
PS. In just two days you will be guided through movements and sensations that are the foundation of effortless sitting. If you don’t discover a profound difference in how you sit, and the quality of your meditation, just let us know and we will give you a full refund, no questions asked. We are that certain that this will be one of the best things you can do for yourself this new year!